Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Things Not To Talk About On A First Date

I thought that everyone knows what NOT to talk about on a first date or meeting. Apparently, not everyone is aware of the unwritten laws of what you can and cannot say. I have only gone on three internet dates and I am shocked that people are unaware of the simple conversation etiquette.

Off Limits Topic #1: Your Ex. Never talk about the ex. It is too telling on what a schumk you are and it proves that you are not really over it. If everything you and the new person are talking about reminds you of something about your ex....either keep it to yourself or get back together with the ex. No one....I mean NO ONE wants to hear these stories - especially on the first date.


Off Limits Topic #2: What ever dorky obsession you have with anything. Everyone has a inner geek. Some are more prevalent than others. You maybe super passionate about Dr. Who but unless you met at a Dr. Who website - keep this on the low down. Everyone has passions like this, lets just keep that one to ourselves until date five or so. Even if you love Dr. Who so much that you pattern your wardrobe after him.....again, keep that one on the down low.


Off Limits Topic #3: The excretions of any bodily fluid or lack there of. Telling me you woke up in the middle of the night and were dry heaving...not exactly what I want to hear the first time I meet you. All I am going to think is that you have puke breath....not really the thought you want going through my head if you planned on kissing me good night.


Off Limits Topic #4: Recent run ins with the law. People get pulled over all the time. We all understand that, however, getting a DUI is not something that should come up in casual conversation. And not with someone you just met. Personally, this is a deal breaker for me....anyone who knows my ex knows I have seen way too many of these from my partner. Not sure what was going to get accomplished by telling me this, other than do not ride with you.


Off Limits Topic #5: Pet stories. They are only funny to you. Do not even bring any up as a rule of thumb. Unless this pet story ended up on the evening news it should be kept to yourself.

As a general rule, I try to talk as much as I listen. And I will listen more than I will talk. Interject with opinions and comments but do not hog the conversation and pay attention to how much you are talking. If you start trying to talk too much you might run the risk of talking about the off limits topics I have outlined. Happy Dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment