Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Falling For A Guy Is Tricky

Last month during the turmoil of my tooth debacle I went on an epically bad date. I thought that I had screened this guy a fair amount before going to dinner with him. I knew he was going to be a nerdy dude....which I am fine with.....truth be told. I like men a little on the geeky side. What I knew about him is that he was a programmer.....I immediately thought he probably plays video games....which I am fine with since I like to play my wii every now and then. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

What I knew before the date was that he was a programmer. Worked mainly out of the house. That we had common tastes in movies and music. We bantered back and forth in emails and it seemed like very good conversation. He kept stressing to me how he likes to work out and by the pictures I have seen, he indeed does. What I will find out is......people are liars....big fat lairs.

I get to the date and walk right into him. He has put on a significant amount of weight since his picture was taken for the website. And he is wearing this long scarf and sheriffs badge. If I did not walk directly into him, I would have turned around and left. When he saw me he made this odd noise similar to this clip where Bill Hader says "Oh, my" or "Oh, no" http://www.hulu.com/watch/45818/saturday-night-live-dateline. I had to choke back the baby vomit in my mouth.

During dinner the conversation was good. We talked about the things we had in common but then the conversation took a turn for the worst.....he started talking about Dr. Who. This is where it all goes from bad to really bad. I ordered more wine. He then tells me about his obsession with Dr. Who and how he dresses like Dr. Who with his scarf everyday. He then explains in painful detail what Dr. Who is all about. At this point I cannot get enough wine in my mouth at one time. To make matters worse.....he then starts talking about his other favorite obesssion - the band......KISS! I again order another wine.

After dinner I give him a peck and tell him good night. He wants to know right there if we can do this again. I do what any polite girl would do in this awkward situation....I lied and said yes.

After the date I go to this local bar on my way home. I need a beer, a cigarette and time to get the Ick of the date off me. I sit down to this guy who I already feel bad for because I am there to bitch. End up sitting down to this other very intelligent, charming, funny, sarcastic, fellow bulldog that listens and makes fun of my date with me. After about an hour I really look at this guy. He is so attractive. I realize that he was the type of person I was hoping I would be going on a date with. How did I just run into him at this bar that I go to all the time?

The next day the bar guy and I exchange emails and continue to pick on my Dr. Who date. We have hung out a few times since. And I truly like him. However, just like the movies "he is not that into me....." It is hard pill to swallow when it feels like we have a good connection. But one I have to swallow. I guess I will always be a friend he met at the bar. At least I have hope now....that there is someone who I will have a great connection with. That will think my quirks are funny as I find his. Hope is better than disappointment any day.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds Oh so familiar!! Right down to the person you click with, but their not that into you.

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete